Wednesday 19 June 2013

Return to Barcelona

Back to my faaaavourite place from last year's trip. Where I met the most amazing people and have some of the best memories. Barcelona.
We checked into our hostel (Sant Jordi Mambo Tango). Tried to find a bloody massage place (unsuccessful) but we were warned that any 'massage' in that area would most likely be a different kind of 'massage'. We ended up wandering down to La Ramblas, thru the food market (of course I bought a tonne of chocolate and some dried figs ha), drank sangria (which I thought I hated from last year but now really like!), ate (cant remember what - paella perhaps?) and made our way up to Magic Fountain.
That 100ish yr old dancing water fountain still blows me away. There's 3 different 'sets' that it shows.. One is classical music, one is movie themes (what we saw in the pouring rain last year) and lastly pop songs - which is what we saw this time. And wow let's say I've never really caught myself bopping along to "call me maybe" but this bloody fountain seems to be magic in more ways than one.. It was more beautiful this time round because it wasnt bucketing down with rain - and even Jeff admitted that it's pretty beautiful.
We left happy (and wet from the splashing water) to head back to the hostel - to realise that at some point during my new found love for sangria and carly ray jepsen, I'd been pickpocketed.. :( waaaaah. Luckily they'd only managed to swipe my sunglass case (prescription sunnies included) so it was more of an inconvenience than anything because it meant that in the next 7days of beautiful sunny places - I couldn't really see sh*t. Had to buy a new €10 pair of sunnies that just made my eyesight worse.  Anyway, lesson learnt. And it could have been my purse or phone..  
Jeff was pretty stoked with the €1.50 beers so he went back out to the pub later that night, bumped into our Canadian-irish roommate and shouted him beers all night ha.  
We did the cycle tour the next day (me being sure to stay up-front with the guide so that I couldn't lose the group haha). We rode past a motorbike accident where the bike was completely mangled and the girl was laying on the floor with people surrounding her calling the ambulance and fanning her down. She luckily didn't seem too hurt but geez now I'm starting to realise why Papa's always said that we're not getting our motorbike licences - the person on the bike (and the bike) never come out of an accident very well.  
Next stop - Parc Guell (Gaudi park) afterwards and good god there were a tonne of stairs. Gaudi must've been a bloody machine while he designed that park if he had to go up n down a zillion Jacobs ladder style stairs every day. I understand why everyone said I had to do the park this time round - its really bizzarly designed but in a weird willy wonka kinda way.  One of the houses could have easily been the witch's house from Hansel & Gretel..  The view over Barcelona from the park was pretty beautiful too so at least I satisfied my "get to a high point for a good view" need. I think this might have to be a new rule.
Rule # 2 - Where possible - get to a high point for the best view.
Trying to remember now what else we did in Barcelona is proving a bit difficult but I think we pretty much walked around, ate & drank.
Breakfast the day that I flew out down on the beach @ Barcelonetta was good, before I said goodbye to h&j to trekk it back to the hostel (getting lost STRAIGHT AWAY walking the wrong direction ending up on the wrong side of the port - hopeless) then to get the 3.5hour train to Madrid. My first solo venture and I get lost in the first 10 mins. Not looking very hopeful for me ha but I have to admit, my map reading skills are improving...

No comments:

Post a Comment