Sunday 30 June 2013

I got a job! And Round # 2 in Amsterdam

Back in London.

I must admit I was pretty bloody lucky with my start in London. When I'd been in Majorca, I had an email from the recruiter in London saying that Bloomberg had seen my CV, and wanted to interview me for a contract/temp position. So I landed back from Lisbon on a Saturday, spent the Sunday prepping, and had my interview first thing Monday morning. 

I had absolutely no idea what the role was, nor did I particularly understand it after having the interview. A mix of customer support / training, and technical troubleshooting. Not exactly where my experience lies. But hey, it's a job right? And let's be honest - it's Bloomberg - I'd have interviewed for anything if they'd asked. By Monday afternoon I'd had a call from the recruiter saying that they'd like to offer me the job. By Tuesday I had the contract, and was due to start the following Monday. That's how quickly it all happened for me. Like I said - LUCKY.

 I already had my 'last hurrah' trip to Amsterdam booked for that coming weekend, so it was pretty fitting that it would be my last weekend unemployed too. On the Friday, I flew out to Amsterdam to meet up with Caitlan and 2 of her friends, with plans to meet up with Hayley & Jeff the next day for our final night together before they flew home.

I don't remember too much significant happening in Amsterdam. A lot of drinking. A lot of walking into clouds of weed smoke. Nearly getting taken out by cyclists. The by far most exciting part - was something called the 'Magnum Experience' - a tip from Ciara that I'd met in Madrid - which was a pop-up store where you could... Wait for it... MAKE YOUR OWN MAGNUM ICECREAM. Hayley was in heaven, as the rest of us were. Hayls & I had our final night out on the Sat night - a very emotional one at that. I can't remember it ever being so hard to say goodbye to someone (aside from my family when leaving Aus) - I guess the drinks didn't make it easier, but we were both blubbering by the end.

The next day I was on my own, Hayls n Jeff had left, Caitlan and the others were packing to leave - so I figured I'd do something cultured and go on the Free Walking Tour of Amsterdam. Having done the cycling tour the year before, I thought I'd know everything.. I did NOT. The best part though, was meeting Brooke. Brooke was late 20's, from Bristol, England, and was in Amsterdam for the weekend for work. We were both on the tour solo, and hit it off straight away. By the end of the trip, we'd exchanged numbers, facebook friendships (I got her REAL account - not the fake one she gives to her clients ha), and vowed to organise a weekend that I could go across to Bristol for a weekend. 1 year later, I've been to Bristol - twice - and Brooke and I are now really good friends. It's actually the travel blog she started for her 3 month South America trip that inspired me to get mine back into gear. Cheers Brooke.

No comments:

Post a Comment